Friday, October 21, 2011

Ross Estate 2009 Barossa Valley Tempranillo


While I've probably got enough wineries to buy from, and spreading thirty-something cartons across around twenty wineries isn't exactly easy, you do feel like trying something different from time to time don't you?

Then there's the prospect of something substantial for nothing, and the chance of picking up $5000 credit by signing up for a mailing list, not that you'd be holding your breath in a promotion that runs till the end of November.

There mightn't be a myriad out there when it comes to discount wine operations but there's definitely a great wing of 'em and the various ones we deal with (or rather the ones he deals with, I've been known to get a bit sniffy about some of these matters) has been a frequent topic of discussion when I encounter Jimbo on the morning walk, particularly when someone has encountered a new one that operates on a slightly different modus.

I'd noted the existence of VinoMofo, the nom de web for Wine Cru Pty Ltd, part of the cluster of sites operated by The Qwoff Boys that includes roadtovino.com and greatwineadventure.com.

They seemed to come up with an interesting offer every so often (actually they're coming up with an interesting offer on an almost daily basis) and there's no obligation to buy, so I figured I may as well register, get the daily email and suggested that Jimbo might feel inclined to do likewise. The thinking behind that revolved around (a) the $5000 credit promotion and (b) the thought that I could check with Jimbo when I spotted an interesting offer to see whether he was interested in part of it.

That way, I figured, I could get a few interesting wines onto the premises and still keep buying from the cluster of wineries I've been patronising for the past few years.

Basically VinoMofo sends out one offer per day, usually a dozen or a half-dozen priced somewhere between 40 and 60% off the list price. They charge freight (standard rate nationwide, which suits me fine) and it isn't an arm and a leg, so that's fine as well.

The way it seems to work (and if I'm wrong here feel free to correct me) involves hooking up a winery with a small parcel of wine they're keen to get out the door with enough customers to move all of it, and if there isn't enough interest to move a minimum number of cases (the Tip number) the deal falls through. Deals are open for three days, and the wine is shipped on the fourth, which is when the details appear on your credit card statement.

Occasionally if the day's offer sells out quickly (as happened with a recent Pants Off Friday 2010 Clare Valley Single Vineyard Watervale Riesling $25 > $9.50) they'll throw out another offer along the same lines (in that case 2009 High Scoring Clare Valley Riesling $22 > $8.50) which explains why we're looking at a couple of cases en route to split with Jimbo.

I had, however dipped the big toe in the water the week before for a six pack of this little number ($18 > $10.50) and based on an initial sample maybe I should've ordered a second box...


Ross Estate 2009 Barossa Valley Tempranillo (4.5* $18) From the first whiff of a savoury nose this one had me very firmly on side as I watched the Wallabies v Wales playoff for third at the Rugby World Cup. Brightly coloured, medium bodied, savoury notes on the nose, cherries and spice across the palate and silky tannins with a seductive mouthfeel it's an excellent match for the pasta and chilli dishes that feature on the Little House of Concrete menu. Impressive, and I could definitely have gone back for more. Hopefully there'll be a similar Vinomofo offer somewhere down the track, and if I happen to spot a bottle in a bottle shop when wwe're on the road I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment